Friday, January 8, 2010

Whats the best way to brush a pomeranian?

We have a 7 month old pom. I thought we had him brushed good. We took him to groomer and they told us his undercoat was very matted....how do we brush undercoat???? My husband didn't ask groomer when he picked him up.Whats the best way to brush a pomeranian?
You need an undercoat rake. You have a double coated breed (so do I). They look just like a rake but the teeth will rotate. This will get down below the outer coat (where most brushes go) to the undercoat. You might also want a pin brush and a comb. I get most of my show supplies at petedge.com or cherrybrook.com. A friend of mine that is a groomer told me about both of those and I have not bought anything other than food from a pet supply store since. You also need to learn how to ';line brush';. Contact me at my website and I will give you instructions.


www.summerlandhillsshelties.comWhats the best way to brush a pomeranian?
Very Carefully!....





just kidding.....you have some good answers posted already.
Since I'd bet you don't have a grooming table w/a NOOSE!,lay the dog across your lap %26amp; USE A STEEL COMB! Part the coat as you go. GO all the way to the skin in sections. A brush will ONLY skim over the coat.


When all the matts are removed,THEN you can start using a PIN BRUSH! Same process,section %26amp; go all the way to the skin. DAILY!! Once you have a rountine **%26amp;** an un-matted dog,this shouldonly take about 15 min. a day.
A Pom does have an undercoat. Here is the best procedure:





1- Take a slicker brush and lift the coat to brush next to the skin. Be careful not to scratch him. Dont forget to stand him up and get the belly.





2- Now get a metal grooming comb and use the same procedure.





Most owners think running a brush through a coat gets all the mats. It just hides them. The easiest way to find mats is feel for them. Dig your fingers in the coat. You will be surprised what you find.





Your groomer should have explained this to you. Most of my customers appreciate the info. Hope she didnt charge you too much for dematting.





By the way, there are de-matting tools out there. They are very sharp and should not be used by novices. Avoid them altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment